Care dog volunteer (Nottingham and Mansfield)
Under the guidance of the Involvement, Experience & Volunteering Team and in partnership with Occupational Therapy staff, the Dog volunteer will provide an opportunity for patients to meet a registered dog and to engage in one-to-one contact in a safe environment.
- Highbury Hospital – Male Ward (Nottingham)
- Sherwood Oaks (Male and Female) (Mansfield)
- Intellectual Disability Disorder Services (Nottingham)
- Wells Road (Nottingham)
To be negotiated with Involvement, Experience & Volunteering Team and the hospital/unit staff. We ask for a minimum commitment of at least six months
- To be guided by the Occupational Therapy staff on appropriate activities for patients.
- Supervises, instructs, encourages and interacts with patients as they participate.
- Alerts unit staff to any issues of concern
- Welcomes any patients/visitors
- Provide dog activities and support where necessary.
Desired skills and experience:
- Dog Charity registered.
- Pet to be Insured and up to date with all required vaccinations, etc.
- Experience of volunteering/working with Mental Health Rehabilitation Services.
- Listening skills
- Sensitive and tactful nature
- Emotionally mature
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Understanding of (ability to learn) personal/professional boundaries.
What Nottinghamshire Healthcare offers volunteers:
We will provide:
- Supervision and support from a dedicated member of staff within the Involvement, Experience & Volunteering Team
- Induction to Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Specific training for the role (Forensic Awareness Training)
- On-going up-dates and information
- Reimbursement of travel expenses – (mileage up to 30 miles round trip from usual home address to volunteering location, for other methods of transport please contact us)
- References can be provided after six months of volunteering
- Health service discounts
Training & Development
We offer support in completing the National Volunteer Certificate and offer further development and training opportunities that are available.
We will offer role specific training.
We’re proud of our community of volunteers that we support throughout Nottinghamshire Healthcare. They are integrated into staff teams and within our services with patients and carers. Our Involvement Centres act as hubs for their work, training and events. We also offer an online NottsHC Volunteer Hub to further support and nurture our community of volunteers.
How to Apply
Important information and interview/training dates to be aware of before applying:
- This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
- You will need to commit to 2 hours a week for a minimum of six months from start date.
- If successfully shortlisted for this role, you will be sent an invitation to interview and links to complete an online DBS check, with links to online training and we will request references (to cover the past three years) which must be completed before the role starts.
Interviews, Induction and Training for the roles will take place – dates to be confirmed. You will need to have attended each session (Interview/Induction/Training) before commencing a role.
New Volunteer Applicants:
All new volunteer applicants for this role must complete and return a Registration Form. Completed forms can be emailed back to the Volunteering Team Volunteering@NottsHC.nhs.uk or sent via post to the DMH Involvement Centre, Duncan MacMillan House, Porchester Road, Mapperley, Nottingham, NG3 6AA
- Volunteer Registration Form (PDF Form) (opens in new window)
- Volunteer Registration Form (Printable) (opens in new window)
Current Nottinghamshire Healthcare Volunteers:
If you already volunteer with us, please complete the Expression of Interest Form and return to the Volunteering Team. Completed forms can be emailed back to the Volunteering Team email@example.com or sent to one of the Involvement Centres.