The Lings Bar shop is a trolley containing numerous items such as sweets, chocolates, newspapers, magazines and more which are for sale to patients on wards. Volunteers take the trolley on a round of the wards on a regular basis giving all patients an opportunity to purchase products for their entertainment.
Inpatient wards – Lings Bar Hospital in conjunction with tea bar facilities
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Take trolley shop around ward
- Maintaining all IPC cleaning measures are completed at start during and end of shift regarding own self-cleaning and equipment
- Supply patients with toiletries and sweets as required
- Must be able to walk reasonable distances and be able to push a trolley
- Be sensitive to patient needs and dietary issues
- Able to handle money and the giving of change
- Ensure all cash is accounted for and bank per local instructions at the end of each shift
- Ensure stock levels are replenished at the end of shift.
- To complete all relevant training to enable safe practice throughout shift
Desired skills and experience:
- Know about, or are willing to learn about, caring and its impact on people
- Listening skills
- Sensitive and tactful nature
- Emotionally mature
- Reliable & trustworthy
- Good communication
- Experience of caring for someone with a physical illness, mental health illness or both.
- Ability to work without supervision and under own initiative when required.
What Nottinghamshire Healthcare offers volunteers:
All volunteers in Nottinghamshire Healthcare are supported by a dedicated team of staff and each volunteer will have a named person within the Volunteering Team as their point of contact. If volunteers are within services, they will also have a named staff member within the service itself. We offer provide regular supervisions with each volunteer to help review their support, their training and their voluntary role. We offer reimbursement of out of pocket expenses, as detailed in expenses policy. References can also be provided after six months of volunteering
Training & Development
We offer support in completing the National Volunteer Certificate and offer further development and training opportunities that are available.
You will also receive an induction to Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust as well as a local induction to the service/placement location.
We’re proud of our community of volunteers that we support throughout Nottinghamshire Healthcare. They are integrated into staff teams and within our services with patients and carers. Our Involvement Centres act as hubs for their work, training and events. We also offer an online NottsHC Volunteer Hub to further support and nurture our community of volunteers.
How to Apply
New Volunteer Applicants:
All new volunteer applicants for this role must complete and return a Registration Form. Completed forms can be emailed back to the Volunteering Team Volunteering@NottsHC.nhs.uk or sent via post to the DMH Involvement Centre, Duncan MacMillan House, Porchester Road, Mapperley, Nottingham, NG3 6AA
- Volunteer Registration Form (PDF Form) (opens in new window)
- Volunteer Registration Form (Printable) (opens in new window)
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions. If successfully shortlisted for this role, you will be sent an invite to interview and links to complete an online DBS check, links to online training which must be completed before the role starts. If you had any questions about the role, the application process or about volunteering with us, get in touch and we’d be happy to help.
Closing date for applications: Ongoing
Interview date: To be arranged upon application
Current Nottinghamshire Healthcare Volunteers:
If you already volunteer with us, please complete the Expression of Interest Form and return to the Volunteering Team. Completed forms can be emailed back to the Volunteering Team Volunteering@NottsHC.nhs.uk or sent to one of the Involvement Centres.