To support carers during their relative’s hospital, stay with us. To increase their opportunity to voice their opinion and express their needs. To help provide information that may help them and the patient on discharge and signposting them to additional support services.
To have a dedicated person to support carers. To increase the carers voice in the way our service works. To make carers feel valued, listened to and supported.
Lings Bar Hospital
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- To have a passion for supporting and helping people.
- To have an enabling approach to problem solving.
- Have a role that is dedicated to carers.
- To help them to articulate their needs and wishes, both for themselves and for their relative.
- To be an additional bridge between the ward and the patient’s family to aid communication.
- To have a non-clinical perspective.
- To work with ward staff on the following:
- To maintain a list of people you have contacted.
- Update this list with any new arrivals across the wards.
- Update with any discharged patients.
- To comply with the Trust PPE and IPC requirements
- To work in guidelines of Triangle of Care and it’s six standards
- To complete all relevant training for the role
Desired skills and experience:
- Know about, or are willing to learn about, caring and its impact on people
- Listening skills
- Sensitive and tactful nature
- Emotionally mature
- Reliable & trustworthy
- Good communication
- Experience of caring for someone with a physical illness, mental health illness or both.
What Nottinghamshire Healthcare offers volunteers:
All volunteers in Nottinghamshire Healthcare are supported by a dedicated team of staff and each volunteer will have a named person within the Volunteering Team as their point of contact. If volunteers are within services, they will also have a named staff member within the service itself. We offer provide regular supervisions with each volunteer to help review their support, their training and their voluntary role. We offer reimbursement of out of pocket expenses, as detailed in expenses policy. References can also be provided after six months of volunteering
Training & Development
We offer support in completing the National Volunteer Certificate and offer further development and training opportunities that are available.
You will also receive an induction to Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust as well as a local induction to the service/placement location.
We’re proud of our community of volunteers that we support throughout Nottinghamshire Healthcare. They are integrated into staff teams and within our services with patients and carers. Our Involvement Centres act as hubs for their work, training and events. We also offer an online NottsHC Volunteer Hub to further support and nurture our community of volunteers.
How to Apply
New Volunteer Applicants:
All new volunteer applicants for this role must complete and return a Registration Form. Completed forms can be emailed back to the Volunteering Team Volunteering@NottsHC.nhs.uk or sent via post to the DMH Involvement Centre, Duncan MacMillan House, Porchester Road, Mapperley, Nottingham, NG3 6AA
- Volunteer Registration Form (PDF Form) (opens in new window)
- Volunteer Registration Form (Printable) (opens in new window)
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions. If successfully shortlisted for this role, you will be sent an invite to interview and links to complete an online DBS check, links to online training which must be completed before the role starts. If you had any questions about the role, the application process or about volunteering with us, get in touch and we’d be happy to help.
Closing date for applications: Ongoing
Interview date: To be arranged upon application
Current Nottinghamshire Healthcare Volunteers:
If you already volunteer with us, please complete the Expression of Interest Form and return to the Volunteering Team. Completed forms can be emailed back to the Volunteering Team Volunteering@NottsHC.nhs.uk or sent to one of the Involvement Centres.